Around 10:00 am Sarah and I grabbed a taxi at Veritas to go to la Multiplaza del Este which is a nice mall that my host mother recommended. Little did I know these Ticos love to recommend American things at high prices. I really needed a jacket and a watch. I came to find out that the cheap Timex watches that usually cost a maximum of $20 in the States cost a minimum of $80 at this mall. I wasn't sure when I would be able to shop again and was sick of being cold on walks home. So....I splurged on what I thought was a $60 jacket and turned out to be an $80 jacket! Trust me, it's not worth $80! It's khaki, zips up the front, and has a little flower embroidery on the back. Nothing special, but it keeps me warm I guess. (For those of you that didn't know, most nice items are imported from the US with HIGH import taxes making things that would normally be $10 or $20 in the states like $50 here.) Oh well. After circling the mall to find anything worth the prices they were charging, Sarah and I decided to get back for the 12:15 pm ISA meeting about our weekend excursion.
On Friday at 1:00 pm we leave for Manuel Antonio, a nice beach along the Pacific coast. It will be about a 4 hour drive by bus. I'm very excited for this! They offer additional excursion while we're there to see the dolphins swim or go horse back riding. I figured I'm already at the beach, I will pay extra to do cool things when my family or Dustin comes with me! Then, since I wasn't completely positive I was changing courses yet, I didn't attend what will be my 1 - 3 class on Dialects in Latin America. We grabbed a bite at Soda Montealegre where I ordered a shredded beef burrito that came smothered in some kinds of sauces. I ate the whole thing and it was magnificent! I returned to Veritas for my 3 - 5 class on Latin American Human Rights. It will be a very interesting class as well. Then I hurried home before nightfall. Luckily the downpour of rain only happened while I was in class and I had a dry walk home. Once home I organized my school things and ate arroz con pollo with my host family's grand-daughter, Maripaz. She is adorable and afterwards I helped her bathe her Barbie, do puzzles, and find the Disney channel in Spanish. She wore me out though and I went up to bed around 8:30. I read until 9:30 and crashed out. I had plans to meet a friends at 7:30 am to walk to the school in the morning so I needed the rest! I will blog about today later! Thanks for your comments!
P.S. Dad, sorry! I will call you too sometime soon! It's just easier to catch Dustin when he's not at work. I hate bothering you and mom at work. But I will call you next time I'm on Skype! :) I love you!

Whitney, will you be around your computer on Saturday? Since I will be home during the day, maybe we could Skype then. I know you are going to the beach, so just let me know if it would work or not.
ReplyDeleteHave a great day! I love you, Mom
Whitney, I know you can't take pictures out and about, but could you take pictures of your home and your host family? I would love to see where you live now and meet your new family! Also, could you take pictures of your beach excursion? Have a marvelous time at the beach. Are there a lot of people going? Any word on getting internet connections at your home? That would be really sweet.
ReplyDeleteHave fun! Love you, Mom
Gizz,
ReplyDeleteHere is my "Quote of the day" I believe it rings true.
"Broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect."
Sadly enough, maybe more broken hearts would make way for a more peaceful world??
I Know mom wants pictures of your house and family but I'm looking forward to some pictures of the beaches :)
Hey, why does Dustin get all the phone calls???
Have fun this weekend and watch out for the sharks (on land).
Love you,
Dad
Gizz,
ReplyDeleteJust joking about the phone call. I would call Dustin too, he is better looking. :)